Wednesday 10 July 2013

Most Unusual Needle-felt Request Ever

Apologies for the pause since the last post - it has been an interesting time dealing with local flooding but more on that at another time.

I just had to share the most unusual request for needle-felt EVER! A gallery owner who carries my art asked me if I would help her out by repairing a needle felt piece by another artist. Apparently the owner's dog was "tempted" by her felted Nativity Scene last Christmas and chewed Baby Jesus into an unrecognizable tangle of wool (Very Bad Dog! - an art history buff could have a field day with the symbolic interpretation). 

Having had an iconoclastic religious upbringing (long lapsed), it felt oddly bizarre to stick needles in an image of Baby Jesus - kind of a mix of sacrilege and voodoo roiled into one. Regardless, I figure the pooch is at far more risk of immortal retribution; I was just doing restoration! However, I am very happy this came after the floods, otherwise I might have started to wonder. Here is Baby Jesus resting peacefully once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment