Sunday 8 September 2013

Back to School Update

Phewwww, made it through the first week of classes! The classes have been amazing while the administrative side has been a nightmare - but, oh well - don't get me started.
As usual I'm doing things a bit differently. I have four studio courses (ceramics, drawing, fibre arts, and painting) rather that the typical three plus Art History and a Humanities. It is fabulous being in studios all the time. We have already jumped into projects in most of the classes and have lots of homework. Very busy - but kind of like Kindergarten on steroids. I mean this in the best possible way. Not that it is easy, but it is about creativity and getting up to your neck in stuff and making something out of it. Fun, fun, fun.

First came ceramics - I've always wanted to try working with clay. These pieces are not fired yet. We were experimenting with different techniques like wax and paper resists and laminating. I am excited to see what they turn out like.










3D Fibre Arts is going to be great. Our first project is making a life-size piece of furniture out of card-board. I decided to try making a "Tree-house" display shelf for the felt creatures. This is the small scale model - poor Hobbes is skeptical.














Then there is Drawing with an assignment to draw two scenes with lots of objects and starting with the closest objects. What was I thinking? By the time I was finished with trying to nail the perspective, I just wanted to crash in the chair with my cooler.
Homework is done for this week and I am all packed up and ready for tomorrow - yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment