Friday 9 March 2012

Needle-Felting: Pins and Needles OCD

Painting is my primary thing, but more on that another time. Right now I am up to my eyeballs in wool ... brings a whole new meaning to "pulling the wool over my eyes."

In 2003, I naively attended a needle-felting workshop with the Bragg Creek Artisans. Much to my surprise, I churned out several furry friends. I have been addicted every since (concerned friends have suggested that I look for a Needle-felters Anonymous support group). Thus came to be a growing population of Bragg Creektures - which I have been selling over the years. I have an upcoming show for these beasties at the end of April so I am busy felting away.

Needle felting is like sculpting in wool. Starting with unspun wool, you "sculpt" with a barbed pin. Wool fibers have microscopic scales that cause them to hook together. Repeated piercing with the barbed pin cases the fibers to matt much like what happens when a favourite wool sweater mistakenly goes into the dryer.

It isn't long before glimpses of faces, toes, and tails start appearing. Then it is just a matter of helping them emerge. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out who is emerging.

Lambert - Sold
Lambert, the friendly lion, one of my first beasties, started out as a mountain sheep, but refused to be sheepish. We have both come to terms with him being a sheep in lion's clothing.

While totally different than painting, the creative experience is surprisingly similar albeit with a lot more "cuteness" in the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment